How to Add a Thumbnail to a Video on YouTube
Before you share a video on YouTube, you may want to add a custom thumbnail to make sure your audience knows what the video is about. In this guide, we’ll explain how to add a thumbnail to YouTube videos.
1. Create a Custom Thumbnail
First, you will need to create your own thumbnail image. Thumbnail images should be 1280 x 720 pixels, larger than the recommended size, and in .jpg, .gif, .bmp, or .png format.
2. Upload Your Video to YouTube
Now you can upload your video to YouTube. After you’ve completed the upload, you can add the custom thumbnail to it.
3. Change Your Video’s Thumbnail
Once your video is uploaded to YouTube, go to the Video Manager page to change the video’s thumbnail. Select the video you want to change the thumbnail for and click the “Edit” icon. On the Video Edit page, click the “Custom thumbnail” option and upload your image.
4. Save the Changes
Once you’ve selected your image, click the “Save” button to save your changes. Your custom thumbnail will now be applied to the video.
Adding a thumbnail to your YouTube video is a great way to let viewers know what the video is about. By following the steps above, you can easily add a custom thumbnail to your video.
- Create a thumbnail image that’s 1280 x 720 pixels in .jpg, .gif, .bmp, or .png format.
- Upload the video to YouTube.
- Go to the Video Manager page and select the “Edit” option.
- Choose the “Custom Thumbnail” option and upload your image.
- Save your changes.
5. Is there a file size limitation for thumbnails on YouTube?
Yes, there is a file size limitation for thumbnails on YouTube. The maximum supported size for a thumbnail is 2MB, and the recommended resolution is 1280×720 pixels.
1. How do I set an image as a thumbnail for a video on YouTube?
To set an image as a thumbnail for a video on YouTube, go to your Video Manager, click the Edit button next to the video you want to change the thumbnail for, then click Custom thumbnail under the Preview section. Select an already uploaded image, or upload a new one which must be a JPG, GIF, or PNG file with a maximum file size of 2 MB. Once you have selected an image, click Save and your new thumbnail will be set.
3. Is it possible to upload customized thumbnails to videos on YouTube?
Yes, it is possible to upload customized thumbnails for videos on YouTube. To upload a custom thumbnail for a video, you need to go to the “My Videos” page of your account and click on the “Edit” button for the video you wish to upload a thumbnail to. On the next page, you should click on the “Custom thumbnail” button and select the file from your computer.
4. What type of image format is necessary for thumbnails on YouTube?
2. What are the guidelines for images used as thumbnails on YouTube?
YouTube recommends that thumbnails meet the following guidelines:
1. Include a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels (with minimum width of 640 pixels).
2. Have a minimum of the 16:9 aspect ratio.
3. Use a JPG, GIF, BMP, or PNG file (non-interlaced).
4. Be recognizable as representing the video or channel when reduced in size to small dimensions.
5. Refrain from including promotional or advertising content, photographs, or commercial elements.
6. Be in good taste and appropriate for all ages.
7. Be legible, even when reduced in size.
How do I make a custom thumbnail for my YouTube video?
1. Open YouTube Studio.
2. Go to the Videos page and select the video you want to edit.
3. Select the Custom thumbnail option under the video overview.
4. Select Upload Thumbnail and choose your custom thumbnail image file.
5. Select Set as thumbnail and your custom thumbnail will be saved for your video.